I don’t think I can express how happy I am that grilling season is finally upon us! During the summer we usually grill at least 3 times a week and I miss it terribly once the cold strikes. Grilling is so simple and everything that touches those wonderful grates turns to pure delicious-ness!
You know why else grilling season is wonderful? My time cooking gets cut in half since Joel does the majority of the grilling around here although I do enjoy getting out there too. It’s so nice to just sit on the deck and watch the ducks in the pond while my dinner pretty much cooks itself.
These Club Sliders with Avocado Ranch take a little prep with the bacon and all but I can’t complain…because it’s bacon, glorious bacon. Totally worth the extra work. While Joel is grilling, I assemble the avocado ranch and get all of the toppings ready. And don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away. It’s a Rachael Ray recipe so it should be done in about 30 minutes.
The avocado ranch dressing is cool and refreshing on these juicy little burgers and also great as a dip for veggies or chips.
These will definitely be a regular on our menu rotation this summer!
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- a small handful of fresh chives, finely chopped
- a small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- a small handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 16 slices good-quality white or whole wheat bread (I found slider buns at the grocery store)
- lettuce leaves, for serving
- 2 plum or vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium high. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of EVOO and the bacon to the pan and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels to cool, then chop.
- While the bacon cooks, place the turkey in a large bowl. Grate the onion on top of the turkey to get 3 to 4 tablespoons onion juice. Add the hot sauce, poultry seasoning, salt and lots of pepper. Add the cooked bacon, mix and form 8 slider patties, about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide. Drizzle with EVOO to coat lightly. Cook on the grill, turning once, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the sliders cook, preheat the broiler (if you are using slider buns skip this step). Place the avocado in a food processor. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, garlic, chives, dill and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Process into a smooth, thick sauce.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds of bread (or trim 1 inch of crust all the way around the bread slices to form small squares); discard the crusts (skip if using buns). Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast under the broiler. Serve the bacon-turkey sliders with the lettuce, tomatoes and avocado-ranch sauce between the toasts.