I don’t know about you but I really love potatoes in pretty much any form! I think that fact is pretty evidenced by Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Potato Pancakes, Roasted Teeny Tiny Potatoes, Lemony Greek Potatoes and Smoky Cheddar Potatoes….and believe me there are more! It’s kind of ridiculous!
I have never been able to make super crispy fries in the oven and have been on the hunt for a way how for quite a long time. These garlicky baked fries are baked but still incredibly crispy because of a few secret steps!
They are precooked in the microwave with garlic infused oil and then tossed in cornstarch before being baked. When you bite into them and hear that crunch, you know they are good! They were incredible and I will always make fries like this in the future.
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 russet potatoes (about 8oz each) cut into 12 wedges each
- 3 tbsp cornstarch/cornflour
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 440° F (I know it's a weird temp, the original recipe was in Celcius...450 F would be fine just keep an eye on them so they don't burn).
- Combine the garlic and oil in a large bowl, warming it until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute in the microwave.
- Transfer 5 tablespoons of the oil (leaving the garlic in the bowl) to the baking sheet, coating it well.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the garlic mixture and toss to coat. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and microwave on high power until the potatoes are translucent around the edges, 3 to 6 minutes, shaking the bowl to redistribute the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- Combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the hot potatoes and toss well to coat.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, turning once, until deep golden brown and crisp, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve with ketchup, mayo or sour cream.