See these apples? We picked them….for free. And we took them home…for free! Seriously people, nothing is free anymore. I found out about this cute little orchard owned by the city last year but we never got around to checking it out. So when I heard that the apples were ready this year I put it as top priority in my phone’s to-do list. I take my lists VERY seriously.
So we headed to the orchard and had a great time picking the apples.
Good thing that boy of mine is so tall!
Many of the apples we brought home were dedicated to Noah’s favorite snack, lala, known to normal people as applesauce. We are still not sure where he came up with that one. To use up the rest of the apples, I went through all my recipes I have saved to find some yummy apple options.
This Apple Streusel Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze was the first recipe I found and after giving Joel tons of options, it was his hands down favorite. I will be sharing another of his must have picks later. It was even Noah’s top choice (after lala of course). Whenever we give him two options he always picks the second one, no matter what it is. I’ll admit we sometimes use that to our advantage. Anyway, I asked him if he wanted apple cake or apple pie. His response: “apple cake.” I reversed the order and: “apple cake.” I asked several more times with a conclusive result of: “apple cake mama.”
You can’t really blame them can you? Apple cake with streusel and a glaze…I’m totally with them! I don’t care for fruit in dessert all that much but I can absolutely get behind this.
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup peeled, diced apple (1/4 inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons softened margarine or butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons milk, or enough to make it a glazing consistency
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9-inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk all dry ingredients together. Make a well in the center and pour all wet ingredients in. Slowly start mixing the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Toss in apple pieces and stir. Pour batter into prepared pan. In a small bowl, stir all ingredients for streusel together until butter pieces are small chunks found throughout mixture. Sprinkle over top of cake and bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Remove from oven and cool.
- Before serving, whip cream cheese and margarine together until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until smooth and runny. Add the milk slowly until desired drizzling consistency is reached. Un-hinge spring form pan and place cake on serving platter. Drizzle with glaze and serve.