I have never been a fan of tea but on a recent trip to the North Shore of Lake Superior my mother-in-law ordered a chai tea and I gave it a try. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it so as soon as we got home I went on the hunt for a mix I could whip up so I could have it at home whenever the mood struck.
This chai tea mix is spicy, warm and comforting which is a nice change the hot chocolate I would normally chose when I want a hot drink (I’m not a coffee drinker either). It tastes great when mixed with water but I prefer milk for the creaminess it lends the tea.
This recipe makes a huge amount so be prepared to drink up or throw some in a jar and tie a pretty ribbon around it with mixing directions for a fun little gift.
- 1 cup nondairy dry milk powder
- 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
- 1 cup vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. allspice
- In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg and allspice. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
- To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water or milk.