Little man and I both love pesto and broccoli so when I saw this recipe for Broccoli Pesto I knew it would be hitting our table soon. When Joel found out about this recipe, he wasn’t quite as thrilled. He is not a pesto fan (I don’t understand him) and he doesn’t love cooked broccoli (once again, confused) so this was just a meal he was going to have to take for the team. Basically, he was outvoted. I like having someone that can help me outvote him! And so far, Noah has similar taste with me so I can look forward to more of this in the future. Insert evil laugh here.
To somewhat appease him, I added meat to this meal so it wasn’t a total loss for him. But then again, it was chicken sausage instead of the real deal so really he was just kind of screwed on this one. He obviously was not a fan but Noah and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It definitely didn’t taste like traditional pesto but it was a really fun, healthy spin. It’s quick and easy to throw together with very few ingredients which makes this a perfect weeknight meal.
- 2 cups steamed and chopped broccoli (about 1 crown)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 links chicken sausage, sliced into thick coins
- Hot cooked pasta
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the broccoli, parsley, garlic, and Parmesan and begin processing.
- While the processor is running, add the olive oil in a thin stream and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan then add sliced chicken sausage. Cook until browned and heated through.
- Toss pasta and sausage with pesto and enjoy!