Happy Thanksgiving a day early! I hope that you are all ready for your Thanksgiving festivities and are able to spend this wonderful holiday with family and friends. I am so thankful for all the wonderful people in my life, especially those boys of mine. Here they are on Thanksgiving last year.
This vanilla bean granola a sweet and simple breakfast idea for tomorrow morning. Or, for all you crazies out there, a quick breakfast to eat on the go while you wait in line at 3:00 in the morning on Friday. Now don’t get me wrong, I love me some Black Friday shopping but I need my beauty sleep. Me not getting enough sleep is not a pretty picture for anyone involved….you will get the grumpy, angry eyebrows. Trust me, when sleep deprived I do not use them sparingly.
- 3 cups thick cut rolled oats
- 1 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon ground flax-seed
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- the pulp of two vanilla beans
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment or Silpat. In a large bowl, stir together oats, almonds, coconut, salt, brown sugar, wheat germ and ground flax.
- In separate small microwavable bowl, stir together canola oil and vanilla. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Add in vanilla bean pulp and whisk with a fork to separate beans.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread granola in an even layer over the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, stir, and then bake for 15-20 minutes longer until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up chunks. Store in airtight container. Makes approximately 5 cups.