Let me begin by telling you I am not a big fan of tomato soup. But Joel on the other hand is and has been begging for grilled cheese and tomato soup since the cold weather hit. I finally gave in but just couldn’t go the traditional route….it grosses me out.
So I went on the hunt for a creamy version that would have more purpose than just a dunk for the grilled cheese (although that’s all Joel really wants it for anyway). I came across this creamy tomato tortellini soup on Taste of Home’s website and knew it would be a good balance of what he liked and what I was looking for in a soup to share with you all.
It starts with canned tomato soup and veggie broth which helps bring this soup together in about 15 minutes. It’s great for busy, chilly evenings when you don’t have a lot of time but want something warm and comforting.
The tortellini bring some heft to the soup and make it a lot more filling than the average tomato soup. And the added spices jazz up the canned ingredients. It’s perfect served alongside the ultimate grilled cheese.
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini (I used frozen)
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (I left these out)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired.