Asian food is one of my favorite types of food to cook and eat. Although Asian recipes often call for a lot of ingredients, once you have them stocked in your pantry/fridge, the possiblities are pretty much endless in what you can whip up. I have a whole section of my refrigerator door dedicated to Asian ingredients, yum!
This 3 Cup Chicken is one of my new favorite Asian dishes. Not only is it delicious but it’s easy to prepare and you can make it from start to finish in about 30 minutes. You all know those are big, important factors in my weeknight meals.
3 Cup Chicken
recipe from Simply Vicky
1/3 cup sesame oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice wine
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
20 cloves garlic
10 ginger slices
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
2 large handfuls of fresh basil, loosely chopped
3 green onion stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces 2 cups rice, cooked
1. Marinate chicken thighs with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon sesame oil (to tenderize the meat). Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Heat large wok or dutch oven to high heat and add 3 tablespoons sesame oil. Once hot, add in garlic and ginger and stir fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3. Add in chicken thighs and brown well, about 4 minutes.
4. Stir in soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar to cover chicken.
5. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium low. Let simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package instructions (I use a rice cooker, but stovetop works too).
7. After the sauce has thickened in consistency, turn heat up to medium heat and add in basil and scallions. Cook until basil and scallions wilt, about 2 minutes.
8. Serve over white rice and enjoy!