So I don’t know how this happened but I haven’t mentioned that Joel and I are going to Vegas on Friday! He has a work retreat thing and they only have to work on Friday until 3 then they have Saturday, Sunday and Monday free. Spouses were welcome to join so I jumped at the chance as I’ve never been to the city of sin.
They have some activities for Friday and Saturday night (The Hardwood Suite at the Palms, Ghost Bar and FireFly) but otherwise we have the days free as well as Sunday night. I’m not into the assumed scene of Vegas but I am excited to see the sights and get to enjoy a little ridiculousness.
It’s one of those places that I want to see but I think I will be happy with that one visit and not feel the need to go back again. We have lots of ideas of activities but I need you all to tell me where to eat. This is a food blog after all!
So, before taking off on our trip we wanted a good, down home meal. I love breakfast for dinner every once and awhile and biscuits and gravy is my favorite breakfast food. Joel loves maple flavored anything so I knew combining the two to make maple sausage gravy and biscuits would be a major hit with him. It added a nice sweetness and changed it up just enough from the traditional gravy.
There’s not too much more I can say, I’ve never met a gravy I didn’t like.
- 1 lb. maple breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 batch Copycat KFC biscuits*
- Brown sausage until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add milk and half and half. Bring to a heavy simmer until the gravy thickens. Add more salt if needed. Split hot biscuits and slather with gravy.
- Find my recipe for Copycat KFC Biscuits here: http://megseverydayindulgence.com/2012/04/03/copycat-kfc-biscuits/