Remember the lemon curd from Monday? Well, this is the reason behind it, Lemon Coconut Poke Cake.
Not only is this cake super easy to make but it tastes absolutely amazing. The flavor combination of lemon and coconut screams summer and was perfect for the high 90s weather that my mom’s birthday brought.
The sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut brought some sweetness to the cake while the lemon curd brought some bright zingy-ness. And who doesn’t love Cool Whip? It’s incredibly moist and almost soggy, but not in a bad way. Like a kicked up tres leches cake, yum! It was just perfect and I foresee it appearing in my future quite often.
- 1 (16.25-oz) white cake mix + required ingredients
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (15-oz) cream of coconut (usually found with the drink mixers)
- 2 cups lemon curd*
- 1 (8-oz) container Cool Whip Lite, thawed
- 2 cups sweetened coconut
- Mix and bake white cake according to package directions. Remove cake from oven and poke all over with a wooden skewer.
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut together and pour over warm cake. Allow cake to cool on cooling rack.
- Spread lemon curd over cooled cake. If you are not serving the cake right away, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. To serve, spread Cool Whip over the lemon curd and sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy!
- Find lemon curd recipe here: http://megseverydayindulgence.com/2013/08/26/lemon-curd/