For some reason this year, almost every treat on my Christmas baking list involves chocolate. Which is weird considering we aren’t big chocolate fans in our house. I was getting desperate to decide on something that at least didn’t involve dark or semi-sweet and then I came across this Pistachio Puppy Chow.
Yep, still chocolate but at least it’s white which is Joel’s favorite variety.
Different varieties of puppy chow have been all over the internet and I have saved many of them but I just never got around to making anything but the original until now. I love anything pistachio flavored so this really caught my eye and I thought it would be just perfect to have around for snacking during the Christmas season. Plus, I like to have things beside cookies and bars.
Another bonus is that this is super easy to throw together. It’s quick enough to make you think you can throw it together while the toddler is supposed to be napping (but then starts screaming for you) and the baby that you put down beside the Christmas tree to talk to the lights starts getting agitated that you don’t feel too bad for letting them be for a couple minutes. They’ll survive, right?
We’re really pretty lucky that any Christmas baking is getting done this year. I’m hoping to get a ton of it done on Saturday so that Joel can take a few big trays to work and we can send some to friends around town. We’ll see how that goes. But in the meantime, we’ll be snacking on this for our sweet fix.
- 6 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 (3.4 oz.) box pistachio pudding mix
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Melt butter, sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate chips together in a small saucepan. Meanwhile, dump cereal in a large bowl. Once chocolate mixture has melted and is combined, stir in the pudding mix and vanilla.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and gently stir until it is completely coated. Dump powdered sugar over top and either stir until coated or place lid on bowl and gently shake until coated. Enjoy!