I have a confession to make…I don’t really like French toast. I choose pancakes over it every time, I just don’t get the appeal of soggy bread. Unfortunately, that guy I married loves it. But stuffed French toast is something I can handle and even enjoy sometimes.
And this French toast, it may have converted me. I mean, strawberry cream cheese with an orange zing? Kind of a dream breakfast. Using French bread kept the super sogginess at bay and added a nice chew to the dish. I just loved the freshness that the orange zest lent to the French toast.
This would be a great addition to a brunch since it’s more fancy pants than the typical French toast. It’s also good for dinner, cause that’s how we roll.
- 1 package (8-ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. strawberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp. shredded orange zest
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 8 thick slices French bread
- Strawberry or maple syrup
- Sliced fresh strawberries (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, strawberry preserves, and orange zest until smooth. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Pour into a shallow bowl or pie plate. Set aside.
- With a paring knife, slice a pocket into the side of each bread slice (do not cut all the way through the bread). Fill bread slices with a heaping spoonful of cream cheese mixture.
- On a griddle, melt some butter over medium heat. Dip filled bread in egg mixture and brown for 1 to 2 minutes per side in hot butter. Serve hot with strawberry or maple syrup, fresh sliced strawberries, and powdered sugar (optional).