Sooo, today we have a preschool tour set up for Noah. Did you hear me? A PRESCHOOL tour. Can you tell that I’m kind of freaking out? First of all, nobody told me that enrollment for preschool in the fall started in freaking January/February. So you better believe that when I found out, I promptly freaked out and immediately went on the hunt.
Once the panic wore off, a bit of sadness set in. I can’t believe my baby is going to be in preschool. And although I’m not ready, I know he totally is. He’s smart, charming and a little social butterfly so I know that it will be a great thing for him. When the day finally arrives, I’m going to need a big slice of cake or a cookie the size of my head.
But let’s not think about those things right now. We should stay positive and healthy and not get all teary eyed, ok? Let’s talk about chicken instead.
I have been craving Chinese food in the worst way. Ya know, the deep fried, drenched in sauce kind of Chinese food. But I’m trying to keep on track so I whipped up this skinny version of sweet and sour chicken instead.
This dish definitely leans more towards the sour than sweet but it has just enough sugar to tone it down. The tender chicken combined with the crisp veggies produce a satisfying mix of textures that almost makes you forget it isn’t deep fried. And there’s no guilt.
From start to finish, you can whip this up in less than 30 minutes so I’ll be keeping this one in my back pocket, especially once Noah starts preschool and our days get busier. For those of you that have been through it, any hints, tips or pointers when looking for a preschool? Tell me all you know!
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple juice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into strips (left these out)
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into strips (left these out)
- 1 (8 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- cooked brown rice
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice, sugar, pepper and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in the soy sauce, lemon juice and ketchup then set aside.
- In a wok or nonstick skillet (or use vegetable spray) until the chicken is browned.
- Add the red and green peppers and zucchini. Stir until the vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Pour the sauce that was set aside over the chicken and vegetable mixture. Stir in the pineapple pieces. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Serve over cooked brown rice.