So I have a little thing to tell you guys and I hope you won’t be mad at me. For Lent I’ve decided to eat clean (except for 2 meals a week). Gah, I’m scared but totally committed so wish me luck.
Joel wasn’t too thrilled when I informed him on what I had decided but he’ll get over it. He gets free catered lunch every day from all kinds of yummy restaurants so he can get his fill of junk food then.
That being said, I figured I should share this delicious Chocolate Chip Cake with Cookie Dough Frosting we had for Valentine’s day before I bid farewell to sugar. I gave Joel a bunch of different dessert options and this is what he chose. He is a cookie dough fanatic so it was kind of a no brainer.
The butter and brown sugar in the cake and frosting really make this taste like a complete cookie dough fest. And I am totally digging recipes with instant pudding mixes. They make everything so moist and delicious.
You can’t really go wrong with a moist yellow cake dotted with chocolate chips smothered in a cookie dough frosting. Plus, it’s incredibly rich so a little piece goes a long way. Try it and enjoy all the sugar on my behalf.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3.4 oz. box instant vanilla pudding (just the mix, do not prepare)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square or round pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, pudding mix, brown sugar, granulated sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk together milk, butter, sour cream, egg and vanilla.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring as you do so. Mix until the batter just comes together then stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan (you can also leave it in the pan if you want to serve it that way.
- For the frosting: cream together butter and sugars. Add vanilla and a small amount of milk. Keep adding milk until desired consistency is reached. Mix in mini chocolate chips. Frost cake once it has cooled completely.