I love wings. They are probably one of my favorite foods but I’m kind of a snob about them. Wings should be spicy and slathered in buffalo sauce, none of those foofy flavors like Parmesan garlic or honey barbecue (sorry if any of you are fans of those – my husband loves them and I make fun of him on a regular basis). I just like a classic spicy buffalo wing with the occasional exception of Asian wings.
I’ve already shared one recipe that I love but the it’s loaded with sugar and corn syrup which I’m trying to avoid. So, when I saw these on The Chew a few months ago I immediately pinned the recipe to try. I also love the addition of lime juice to this recipe….although they are hard to find these days. My grocery store was selling a 4-pack for $5 and I just kept biting the bullet and buying them since I have so many recipes that I love that include lime juice. But now, they don’t have any. Imagine my horror #firstworldproblems.
These wings are worth the search for limes. They are slightly sweet and seriously zippy and lick your fingers sticky. And the sesame oil just puts them over the edge. I love me some sesame oil.
So, if you can find limes and don’t mind paying over $1 for one, please try these wings. You won’t regret it!
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Coconut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 3 green onions, sliced – whites & greens separated
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp. chili flakes
- 2 lbs. chicken wings, separated with tips removed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine a tablespoon of water with the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt a tablespoon or two of coconut oil. Add the garlic, ginger and whites of the green onion to the pan and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the soy sauce, honey, lime juice, sesame oil and chili flakes. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the soy sauce mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thickened. Allow to cool to room temperature (this can be done ahead of time and refrigerated until needed).
- Season chicken wings with salt and pepper and bake for 20 minutes in a greased baking dish. Pour sauce over the wings, stir to coat and bake another 20 minutes until cooked through and sticky. Remove from the oven and garnish with the greens of the green onion.