Although I do love peppermint, I enjoy it in small doses. Like peppermint patties…one bite is enough to fulfill my sweet tooth. So when I saw this recipe I decided to double the brownie base but keep the peppermint frosting at the original amounts to cut the richness a bit. I also kept the chocolate layer on the lighter side since most of us aren’t huge chocolate lovers but I know that isn’t normal so I would recommend doubling it if you want more chocolate-y goodness.
It’s the perfect ratio of peppermint and chocolate and just a small square will satisfy any sweet tooth. I hope that you all are enjoying the holiday season with all your loved ones!
- 1 family size dark chocolate brownie mix (prepared according to box directions)
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 8 Tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 oz. chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup Andes peppermint crunch pieces, or crushed candy canes
- Prepare brownies according to box directions. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cream butter and confectioners' sugar together. Add milk and extracts and whip until thick and fluffy. Spread over cooled brownies and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Melt chocolate and butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments. Drizzle over peppermint frosting and spread. Sprinkle with peppermint crunch pieces or candy canes.