S’mores and ice cream are basically the two best foods summer has to offer so I decided to combine them into a rich and outrageous dessert. Let me warn you, there’s some major chocolate overload in this ice cream. You all know I’m not a huge fan of chocolate so I will admit this wasn’t my favorite ice cream ever but I loved the flavor combinations. Plus, it’s so rich that just one small scoop is enough.
Like I mentioned on Monday, I love an ice cream with lots of stuff and some texture. Plain ‘ole vanilla or chocolate just isn’t my thing. The marshmallows add a creamy, chewy texture and the graham crackers bring some crunch. They also help break up the richness of the chocolate.
If you are a chocolate lover, as Noah likes to call himself, or big s’mores fan you have to try this ice cream for your next gathering. I guarantee it will be a big hit.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 3 graham crackers, coarsely crushed (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Place the sugar, eggs and cocoa in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. With the food processor running, slowly pour the milk into the chocolate mixture through the feed tube. Process until well blended. Pour the mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir mixture constantly until it is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Be careful not to let it boil or the eggs will scramble. Place a fine mesh sieve over a clean bowl. Pour custard through the sieve. Allow to cool slightly then stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold, or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard then freeze according to manufactures directions on your ice cream machine. In the last 3 minutes, add the graham cracker crumbs and marshmallows. Eat immediately or place in a freezer safe container and freeze.