These Baked Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches start with a buttery, flaky croissants and are filled with scrambled eggs, crisp bacon and melty cheddar cheese to create a delicious hand held breakfast to enjoy at home or on the go.
I’ve been on a breakfast kick lately which is really weird for me. First, I’m not big on cooking in the morning. I get up early for some me time but I’m grumpy in the morning so I just want to read a book or zone out watching something from the DVR, not cook a full meal.
We usually have yogurt, scrambled eggs, simple oatmeal, frozen waffles, cereal or something else equally easy.
Second, I don’t usually eat breakfast. I know, I know, it’s the most important meal of the day. Blah, blah, blah. When I wake up, I just don’t want to eat. I promise you it’s the only time of the day it happens. I’m trying to change my ways and act more like an adult. We’ll see how that goes.
I started with the oatmeal last week and today it’s all about the glorious Baked Breakfast Croissant Sandwich which is something I can totally get behind. I’m so much more of a savory person in the morning so this is totally up my alley. And you can make them the night before so it’s a double score.
These croissant sandwiches start out with buttery, flaky, store-bought croissants of course. If you are a rock star you could make them homemade but right now, I ain’t got time for that. But it is on my list of things I want to try making at home. Someday, someday. I’m pretty sure they aren’t the thing to make with your two year old. At least not my hellion (who I love very much but it’s the truth people).
The croissants are piled high with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese. Right before baking they are brushed with a delicious buttery, mustard sauce then thrown in the oven to get all melty and crispy. If you are making these the night before, complete all the steps up until the brushing of the buttery goodness.
As if a croissant isn’t flaky enough, the baking process provides even more of a crunch and melts the cheese to perfection. These Baked Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches are filling and hearty and savory and all the things I want my breakfast to be. They make me want to be a breakfast person.
They were also a big hit with my peeps and have been requested again but with a sausage patty next time to make them meatier. More meaty? Ew, I don’t like the way either of the choices sound. I’m definitely more of a bacon person but I think they would be equally delicious with sausage if you prefer. Do your thang. All I know is you should make them and eat them and tell me what you think.
Baked Breakfast Croissant Sandwiches
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp
- 6 slices cheddar
- 6 croissants
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1/2 tsp. poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon butter to the pan and swirl it around. Add the eggs and scramble.
- Meanwhile, slice each piece of bacon in half. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove from pan to a paper towel lined plate.
- Slice croissants in half and lay bottom halves in a 13x9 pan. Top each with an equal amount of scrambled eggs. Top with 2 bacon halves pieces and a slice of cheddar cheese. Add the croissant tops.
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, mustard and poppy seeds. Brush over the sandwiches. Bake sandwiches for 15 to 20 minutes, until hot and melty.