This is my go to cornbread recipe to accompany any soup, chili or southern meal. It has an amazing sweetness that my whole family just adores. The best way to cook cornbread is in a heavy, cast iron skillet. It adds a crispy crust that is just amazing (be sure to preheat your skillet before placing the batter in it).
I know there’s much debate over whether cornbread should be sweet or not but I don’t care. I want the sugar. Sweet cornbread for life. Well, all cornbread for life, but this one first.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 8-inch square baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- Combine flour, sugar, corn meal, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in small bowl and mix well. Add to flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Pour into baking pan or skillet. Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- For corn muffins, spoon batter into muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans.