Ever since I was a child I have loved Catalina dressing. Like a dip my chicken nuggets in Catalina while other
normal kids dipped in ketchup kind of love. I even liked to drizzle a little on my cottage cheese. Strange, I know. I still love it today, but just on my salad (although I may just have to try the cottage cheese thing again).
So when I saw this Catalina Taco Salad I knew I had to try it. The salt and crunch of the fritos is a nice contrast to the rest of the salad. Every salad needs a crunch in my opinion. And the warm ground beef makes it extra yummy and filling.
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce or lettuce blend
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained thoroughly
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained thoroughly
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 (14 ounce) bag Fritos corn chips
- 1 (24 ounce) bottle Catalina salad dressing
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Set aside and cool slightly while preparing other ingredients.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine lettuce, grated cheese, beans, tomatoes, olives, and onions. Toss gently to blend.
- Just before serving, add cooked ground beef and corn chips; toss gently to combine with salad ingredients. Begin drizzling salad dressing over salad mixture and lightly toss salad until the desired amount of dressing is used.