What are your New Year’s resolutions this year? Besides the typical eat healthier and continue to exercise regularly, my big resolution is to make something I have never attempted each month. Whether it’s something from my Top 100 or something we think of randomly, I want to step out of my comfort zone and learn some new techniques. I also plan on experimenting more with creating my own recipes.
On a random side note, I also made this totally awesome calendar which I want to keep up with so there’s another resolution.
Although I have made waffles before, it has been few and far between and they were never all that great. But these waffles? These were the best waffles I have ever eaten. For real. But the name kind of gave it away, didn’t it? They were crispy on the outside while light and fluffy on the inside….breakfast perfection. I whipped them up yesterday morning for Joel, Noah and my parents and it was the perfect way to start off 2013. You seriously have to make them because I seriously considered making another batch this morning and I’m not even a big breakfast person.
We topped ours off with butter and syrup but I think they would be totally divine with strawberries and whipped cream. Oh man, now I really really want to make another batch…..must remember the eat healthier resolution….
Anyway, do you have any suggestions for new/interesting/crazy food to make for January?
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk (I recommend buttermilk)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter and syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray then follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.