I love to have fruit in the house for healthy snacking but sometimes it can get a little boring on it’s own. When I was a kid, we ate our fair share of fruit salad. Our fruit salad consisted of our favorite fruits mixed with a little cool whip. So yummy! But this time around, I needed a dairy-free version as my in-laws were visiting and my mother-in-law doesn’t eat dairy. I remembered this recipe I came across quite awhile ago and thought it would be the perfect way to make simple sliced fruit a little more special at breakfast.
The honey lime dressing was a bit sweet but had an amazing citrus zing that was just perfect on the fruit. You could use any fruit you like or have on hand for this recipe. I think bananas would be a great addition as long as it was being eaten right away. Don’t mix in the “dressing” too soon or the strawberries will get really soggy. I made it about a half hour before serving so it had a little time to chill together but not too long to get mushy.
This is a perfectly light and refreshing side that will be perfect throughout the much anticipated spring and summer!
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 bunch (about 1 1/2 lbs.) seedless grapes
- 1/4 cup honey
- juice from 2 limes (about 2-3 tablespoons)
- Rinse strawberries, blueberries and grapes then gently pat dry. Hull strawberries, then cut each in half or quarters. Remove stems from grapes and blueberries, if any.
- Gently combine all three in a large bowl or aluminum tray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and lime juice. Pour over fruit.