This creamy Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate pasta dish. Just what your holiday table needs.
Ok, so I know I have been talking about how I’ve been eating super healthy lately but I keep sharing recipes that say otherwise. Well, that’s because most of the healthy recipes I’ve tried have just not been blog worthy. Blah, do you guys have any healthy meals that taste really good? I’ve been striking out.
What I really want is to stuff my face with a bowl of this Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese. For real. I actually made it a few months ago but I’m still dreaming about it.
Cheese is one of my favorite things and could pretty much be its own food group in our house. I love a classic cheddar and reach for it almost every time I’m making something cheesy. That being said, I don’t really discriminate and gouda is one of my favorites to mix it up. So naturally when I saw this recipe I knew it HAD to happen.
I saved this recipe for when my cheese loving family came over for dinner. Well, everyone loves cheese but my dad and we all thinks it’s just wrong. So we make cheesy things anyway. We always make sure there is something he likes so don’t worry that the poor man’s taste buds get ignored. But seriously, not liking cheese is beyond my comprehension.
This mac-n-cheese is smoky, cheesy, creamy, sharp and delicious. It would be so yummy with a pulled pork sandwich during the Super Bowl. Gah, I may have to change my menu to include it. So good.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes:
- Italian Mac and Cheese
- Smoked Macaroni and Cheese
- The BEST Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Instant Pot Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 cups macaroni noodles
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 lb. smoked gouda, shredded
- 3/4 lb. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package directions. Combine grated cheese in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. This cooks out the flour taste. Slowly whisk in the half and half, in three additions, letting it thicken in between each addition. Once all the half and half has been added cook until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the sauce it into beaten egg while whisking egg mixture. Pour egg mixture back into the sauce, stirring constantly until completely incorporated.
- Add all but 1 1/2 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Pour cooked macaroni into a large baking dish then pour sauce over the noodles. Stir until combined. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.