Super Bowl weekend is going to be a crazy one for us this year. The kids and I are driving down to Kansas City for my nieces 7th birthday while Joel will be in Iowa for a work trip. We’ll be getting home just in time to watch the game so that means I don’t have a lot of time to get some yummy munchies pulled together for the big game. And I take my football food very seriously. But no worries here because these Black and Bleu Sliders take very little effort and the different components could even be made the day before (or even longer and frozen) then simply heated and assembled the day of the party.
These sliders start with my absolute favorite shredded beef that we most often use for killer tacos. It is so simple to make in the slow cooker and only requires 4 ingredients that result in a super flavorful and juicy shredded beef. I grew up on this stuff and it’s my favorite dish that my mom makes and whenever I make it I think of her. And a little advice from my mom, it tastes better a little bit burnt…. That what she says at least.
So instead of using the shredded beef for tacos, I decided to pick up some bleu cheese and slider buns to make some sandwiches to nosh on during the game. Beef and bleu cheese were made for each other but they are both heavy and rich so there was a definite need for something to cut that richness a bit. In comes the balsamic reduction. The acid brightens the flavor and add a nice punch to the sandwiches. And it’s also incredibly simple to make, just don’t get too close to the pan and breath in the steam from the pan. It will make you cough and your eyes will water. Not that I would know.
The beef and balsamic reduction can both be made ahead of time if you’re a planner or are going to be pressed for time like me. Simply reheat the beef in a skillet and bring the balsamic reduction to room temperature (it may harden after being refrigerated so if this happens, place the container in warm water to help it thin out).
I chose potato slider buns this time around and they were so amazingly soft which made them perfect for sopping up the balsamic reduction and drippings from the beef.
These Black and Bleu Sliders are officially our new favorite game day go to and I hope you all will love them as much as we do. What are some of your favorite game day foods? Share in the comments below.
- 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- Slider buns
- For the beef: Heat a saute pan that is large enough to hold the roast over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Once hot, add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and carmalization begins. Dump mixture into a crock pot.
- Bump up heat of pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. olive oil to pan. Sear chuck roast on each side until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Place roast on top of onions and garlic in the crock pot. Add 1/3 cup hot water to the saute pan and scrape it to get all the browned bits off the bottom. Add water and browned goodness to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Remove fat and shred.
- To make the balsamic reduction: heat a small saucepan over medium high heat and bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce to a heavy simmer and stir frequently, it can burn easily, until it has thickened and has a syrup-y consistency. It will reduce by about half. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before transferring to an airtight container. Refrigerate until ready to use. You may need to place the container in warm water as it may harden in the refrigerator.
- Once beef is done, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Place desired amount of beef on a slider bun, top with bleu cheese and drizzle with balsamic reduction.